Sunday 29 December 2013

Packing must DOs

If there is one thing you should know about me, it is that I love to travel. Traveling is most definitely one of my favourite things ever. Some people strongly dislike the actual ‘traveling’ part  of traveling whether it be by car or by plane which I think is pretty ironic… but when it comes to me, I appreciate every aspect of traveling. I love the thrill and adventure that comes with visiting different countries and cities within them. But regardless of where I go… I always am faced with the same problems- What to pack, how to pack, and how to avoid overpacking. Over the years I have developed a list of packing must DOs… 
1: Don’t Over Pack
This is probably the one thing I struggle with the most. I have an extremely bad habit of packing too much (most of which I usually don’t even end up wearing). My most impressive overpacking moment thus far is packing 17 pairs of pants… 7 of which I actually wore. To avoid overpacking try to plan out outfits. Obviously bring your essentials- aka leggings, the perfect skinnies and sweats- but you don’t need to bring 3 pairs of leggings, 4 pairs of jeans, and definitely no more than one pair of sweatpants (no matter how comfortable they are). 
2: Roll it don’t Fold it
When it comes to packing efficiently it is true- rolling takes up less space. Plus a pro of rolling your close is that you can avoid wrinkling your clothing. When you fold your clothing it tends to get fairly bad deep wrinkles.
3: Buy it don’t Bring it
Things like shampoo, conditioner and face wash are heavy things to lug along so… why not just purchase it once you arrive? If it is an option available to you, take advantage of it. If you are cutting it too close to the max weight this is definitely something you want to consider.
4: Take advantage of the carry on(s)
I like to rig the system when it comes to carry ons. I pack all my necessities in my purse (some may considered  it to be a whole other carry on in itself) and all my extras that didn’t fit in my luggage in my ‘actual’ carry on- shoes, blow dryer, straighter and so on. 
5. Make a list
It actually is really beneficial to make a list. Check what the weather will be like and then pack accordingly. I have had it happen to many times before where you pack for warm weather when you should be backing sweaters and pants. It will also ensure you don’t forget the necessities like your memory card when you have packed your camera…. (been there).
6: Organization 
Whether you use a plastic bags to help sort out your stuff or actual packing aids- this will help you stay organized. By about the 3rd day of my trip my luggage is an absolute disaster but I do find it helpful to organize you luggage (or at least attempt t0).

Hopefully this will give you a bit of hand when it comes to packing for your next vacation! I am leaving for San Diego tomorrow so plenty of new blog posts will be coming super soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment